AM Kitchen Cook
Gustavus Adolphus College is one of the nation's leading private liberal arts colleges serving over 2,200 students. The College aspires to be a community of persons from diverse backgrounds who respect and affirm the dignity of all people. Known for its strong science, writing, music, athletics, study-away, and service-learning programs, Gustavus is located on a scenic 340-acre hill in St. Peter, Minnesota only one hour southwest of the Twin Cities.
*This position is full-time, 40hpw/52wpy, non-exempt, and 6:00am-2:30pm with rotating weekends.*
JOB SUMMARY: The primary purpose of this position is to assist in the preparation of foods for meals prepared or served in the Market Place or Catered Events in a timely fashion under the direction of the Kitchen Lead and Assistant Chef/s.
If you enjoy working in a fast paced restaurant or foodservice environment, this opportunity is for you.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare food items and components based upon Market Place cycle menus and special event schedules.
- Follow standardized recipes for food items and recipe components.
- Prepare quantities as directed by Kitchen Lead and Assistant Chef/s.
- Assist as needed in Market Place service locations.
- Maintain neat, clean, professional appearance and pleasant demeanor for customers.
- Demonstrate commitment to overall consistency and quality following established preparation schedules and recipes.
- Employ technical production skills which at times include the use of appropriate math, reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Organize workload and flexibility in altering personal work schedule to meet work goals designated by work supervisors.
- Problem solve while collecting work related information and make recommendations and adjustments for successful task completion.
- Demonstrate commitment to customer satisfaction by providing high quality products and services and appropriate communications.
- Work in a team setting. This includes effective communication with other staff members, student employees, student leaders, and the ability to try new methods and accept suggestion/direction for change of procedure.
- Adhere to recipe standards and direction from supervisors.
- Adhere to quality and food safety standards as established by Assistant Director, Production and Purchasing and Certified Food Managers of the College.
- Maintain sanitary work area and complete cleaning assignments as directed.
- Adhere to dress code as designated by Assistant Director, Operations.
- Your position has been designated as weather- or emergency-essential. In the event of a closure of the College, it is vital that you report to work if scheduled. You will receive regular pay for the hours normally scheduled to work that day plus your overtime rate at 1 times your regular rate for the actual hours worked during the closing.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- One year experience in hotel/restaurant cooking in high volume operation.
- Basic math skills.
- Ability to read, write, and follow recipes.
- Flexible work schedule depending upon academic calendar and special events/summer programs need.
- Extended periods of standing and walking, sometimes on quarry tile and ceramic floor material.
- Exposure to sharp instruments such as knives, slicers, and food choppers of various configurations.
- Exposure to and use of hot ovens, steam kettles, gas ranges, steam cookers, deep fryers, griddles, and charbroilers.
- Exposure to and use of walk in coolers and freezers and blast chiller.
- Moderate to high heat and humidity.
- Strenuous physical effort at times including lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Exposure to cleaning and sanitizing agents.
Application Procedures: To apply for this position, please continue the process on our website, www.gustavus.edu/humanresources/employment to complete the online application.
Gustavus Adolphus College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
Click on the following link to learn more about Gustavus's campus-wide commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Posted on: 5/6/2021
Kevin Birr | email@example.com | 507-933-7689
Posted: Thu May 6, 2021
To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/employment/job/1853
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency