This ad is expired.
Barista - Penn Dining - Residential and Hospitality Services
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Barista - Penn Dining - Residential and Hospitality Services
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Baristas must represent both in a friendly, professional, courteous, and efficient manner and set a positive tone for all customer interactions. The Barista is required to follow all customer service, cash handling, safety, sanitation and quality assurance policies and procedures. They communicate with customers about the foods being served, including the names, main ingredients and basic preparation techniques used to produce each food. Baristas must be knowledgeable about unit information and policies. Baristas must enforce the meal contract and entrance policies fairly and without prejudice and should endeavor to promptly mitigate any questions, problems, or potential conflicts with customers due to misunderstandings, under the guidance of unit leaders and management. This position prepares, displays, decorates, garnishes, serves, re-stocks and stores ingredients and food items in a safe and sanitary manner, whether hot or cold. The Barista promptly and constantly cleans and sanitizes all work, preparation and customer service areas, and work tools & utensils, utilizing proper safety equipment and chemicals and all associated sanitation and HACCP guidelines. The Barista also controls proper portion sizes for all foods served through the use of proper utensils and serving and slicing techniques. Communicates effectively with kitchen, management and other employees concerning customer flow, food supplies and other service needs. Responsible for the storage, labeling, dating and prompt return of all food and supplies before, during and after service periods. Will also assist in various additional ways with the clean-up, sanitation, breakdown and set-up of other areas as directed by supervisors and management. Ongoing training is mandatory and must be attended when offered. Will be required to pass a minimum of seven days of training by the concept trainer.
Position is for 9 months per year.
A High School Diploma or GED is preferred and 1 to 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Recent experience in food service preferred. Demonstrated customer service skills. Ability to communicate and implement management direction. Ability to lift 10 - 25lbs. Willingness to work flexible hours, 7 day per week operation. Ability to follow & memorize many recipes, & ability to use coffee & other machines, to use cash register & make all transaction on the register, credit card machines & gift card machines. Capacity to follow all cash handling policies and procedures once trained.
The Barista role is considered University "essential" personnel and is expected to work when normal campus operations are suspended (eg. inclement weather) or if there is an emergency impacting on-campus residents.
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
Residential and Hospitality Services
$15.25 - $19.12
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Hamilton-Village-230/Barista---Penn-Dining---Residential-and-Hospitality-Services_JR00051051
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-5ffa986cbe5d1f49b5b11587f25fa219