University of California Merced
$66,000 - $73,400 Annually
Review will begin 07/02/2021 and may close anytime after that date
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
The Executive Chef is assigned to oversee one or more areas of operation (residential dining, retail food services, catering, and commissary). Under the general direction of the Dining Services Director, the Executive Chef will
Plan, organize, direct, and manage a quality Dining Operations Program.
Provide executive over-site in the research, development and implementation of all menu items, corresponding recipes, production, structure, and strategy.
Oversee the selection, training, supervision, and evaluations of all operations staff in food safety, production, planning and execution of all duties.
Utilize comprehensive menu and inventory management methodologies and systems.
Provide Leadership by continuously monitoring and evaluating standards to ensure operational excellence.
Uses advanced food services concepts in overseeing complex food preparation, menus, service delivery, nutritional needs, sanitation, and cost effectiveness in campus food service operations. Exercises independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results in food service. Provides direct supervision to employees. Supervises dining staff to assure accountability and stewardship of department resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental goals and objectives. Considered a technical leader in the culinary field.
- Bachelor's degree in related area (e.g. culinary arts, food service management hospitality) 4 years of related experience or 9 years related equivalent experience / training.
- 5 years of culinary management experience, preferably in a college or university environment with independent decision making for menu planning, customer service, staffing and financial management.
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record. May be required to operate a vehicle.
- CCC certification with the American Culinary Federation or equivalent, preferred.
- Serve Safe Certification or equivalent or superior certification or to be obtained within 6 months of employment.
- Advanced verbal and written communication in the English language, and active listening, dynamic flexibility, critical thinking, and ability to multi-task and ensure effective time management.
- Advanced decision making and reasoning skills, and ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, and perform operations analysis and quality control analysis.
- Use of Technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer applications in a food service operation.
- Experience sufficient to effectively utilize on-line scheduling and time and attendance software.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the accuracy of the recipe files in an automated Menu Management System.
- Intermediate computer application skills.
- Advanced skill in effective interpersonal and work leadership skills to provide guidance to all levels of personnel.
- Demonstrated experience sufficient to direct and manage total operations in the absence of the director.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and completing staffing tables and scheduling procedures.
- Ability to speak on a one-to-one basis using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to direct and train the staff.
- Ability to communicate ideas and direction clearly and effectively in written, oral, verbal format.
- Organizational skills sufficient to direct and organize the culinary training of supervisors, students, limited and career staff.
- Ability to be proactive, foresee any potential problems and act quickly to remedy them.
- Skills sufficient to provide ongoing training in support of delivering excellence in customer service.
- Ability to maintain and promote positive customer and employee relations.
- Ability to recognize and appropriately deal with sensitive or confidential information and situations.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality through the chain of command in personnel and departmental matters.
- Skill to work with a diverse group and to work effectively and cooperatively as a team member.
- Ability to conduct business in a professional manner that is respectful, diplomatic and positive.
- Food, Procurement, Receiving and Inventory Control
- Demonstrated experience and skill in specifying, ordering, receiving, storing, securing and distributing food, supplies and equipment generally associated with large, complex retail and residential operations.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in managing multiple inventories and ability to audit and identify potential problems and solutions.
- Demonstrated skill in sourcing and specifying food, equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated experience in forecasting of inventory, production, ordering, menu management, inventory management, access control, point-of-sale systems.
- Menu and Recipe: Development, Production and Maintenance.
- Demonstrated experience and skill sufficient to research, develop and implement all menu items, corresponding recipes, production plan, with consideration of staff skill levels, cost effectiveness, and available equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing cycle menus with input from staff, student groups, surveys, industry trends and related data.
- Demonstrated experience in producing diverse, cost effective and current trend menus for the food program in catering, retail and residential operations using the highest quality foods at the lowest possible price.
- Ability to effectively conduct focus groups and preview tasting of any and all new menu items to gain advance feedback.
- Demonstrated experience in developing specialized catering menus and customized menus based on customer requests.
- Demonstrated experience in accurately writing recipes, records, reports and letters.
- Math skills sufficient to accurately convert weights and measures in solid and liquid form.
- Demonstrated experience in reading, analyzing, converting, creating and writing proper recipes.
- Working knowledge in analyzing and predicting customer trends and implement changes.
- Advanced knowledge in food preparation, service delivery, nutrition, special needs and sanitation regulations.
- Demonstrated experience and skill in effectively planning, organizing and directing a large culinary staff of varied skill levels in multiple locations to produce high quality, consistent food within budget targeted goals.
- Demonstrated ability to make split decisions and change priorities at a moments notice as to not impact operations when problems arise.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food safety, sanitation rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HACCP programs and concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current methods of effective production, menu trends, ingredients and terminology.
- Skill in operating food service equipment generally found in retail and commercial kitchens.
Background check and fingerprinting is required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/
For full application instructions and position description, visit: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucm/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=25&JobOpeningId=19947&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency