- Manager of La Gran Terraza
- Go to our website »
Manager of La Gran Terraza
Posting #: 4461
Join the University of San Diego culinary team! Be an integral part of our award-winning, nationally recognized culinary program. We are proud to provide 2.5 million meals each year for our campus community of over 8,000 students, in addition to faculty, staff and visitors. Our diverse portfolio of dining locations and services includes; a full service restaurant and pub, retail outlets (four cafes and a coffeehouse), a market and deli, a food court featuring an array of global cuisine, outstanding catering services, athletic concessions at multiple locations, and food service for the child development center.
La Gran Terraza is The University of San Diego's premiere dining experience is a California bistro that features fresh, local and sustainable food. La Gran Terraza features farm-to-table lunch and dinner. The Grand Dining Room and terrace have fantastic views of Tecolote Canyon and Mission Bay.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
Complete responsibility for the planning, coordination and directing of the administrative, operational and programmatic activities of "La Gran Terraza" restaurant, including the creative planning, costing and execution of special events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Accountability
- Develops and provides a vision with clear direction to the restaurant staff.
- Ensures prompt, friendly customer service.
- Ensures coordination of responsibilities for the smooth operation of all special events.
- Analyzes operational situations such as staff and product shortages, equipment failures or other problems, provides timely solutions to problems.
- Ensures an environment of customer awareness by staff.
- Provides assistance to customers in selecting menus, linens, table arrangements and room setups for special events.
- Develops customized menus for specific customer requests.
- Coordinates and communicates special needs of customers with facilities management.
- Provides general oversight of special events to assure quality of product and service with direct oversight as appropriate.
- Develops positive working relationships with the University Center staff.
- Plans, develops, implement and evaluates marketing strategies for La Gran Terraza.
- Develops and maintains positive campus community relations and communications.
- Assures that high quality standards are maintained throughout the course of daily services, including food quality, room appearance and safety and sanitation standards.
- In conjunction with the Hospitality Director evaluates, develops and implements policies and procedures for La Gran Terraza.
- Establishes and maintains goals for La Gran Terraza and in conjunction with the Hospitality Director assists in setting goals for the Hospitality Services.
- Prioritizes objectives for La Gran Terraza areas and communicates these to staff and leaders.
- Delegates responsibility and authority as appropriate to meet operational goals and objectives.
Budget Development, Resource Management and Financial Analysis
- Responsible for all facets of budget development, analysis and management within La Gran Terraza. Reconcile POS performances per shift on daily bases.
- Ensures that accurate monthly inventories are taken.
- Reviews manpower needs, evaluates labor costs and proposes new staff positions as needed.
- Compiles extensive figures for monthly statements of operation. Manage the Tips pool for the FOH staff.
- Identifies deviations from desired results and develops and executes corrective action plans.
- Ensures proper monthly billing of all departmental charges.
- Updates, reviews and standardizes pricing and costing for menus/service.
- Ensures maintenance of adequate inventory levels.
- Ensures daily communication among appropriate staff to adjust production according to changes in guarantees.
- Conducts weekly production meetings to review and clarify menus and quantities with production staff.
- Responsible for ongoing review and upgrading of service, product and menus.
- Approves orders for supplies and small equipment for La Gran Terraza.
Personnel Supervision and Organizational Management
- Assures compliance with Hospitality Services and Auxiliary Services policy and procedures.
- Develops full-time and part-time job descriptions.
- Responds to employee complaints.
- Promotes teamwork among leaders and staff.
- Develops and maintains communication with staff informally and through periodic meetings.
- Develops and implements programs for employee recognition.
- Conducts thorough multi-level interviews on potential employees. Researches all references. Selects employees to insure adequate staffing levels.
- Recommends employees for promotion.
- Conducts new full-time employee orientation.
- Teaches employees nonnegotiable standards of performance.
- Conducts individual and group training sessions and gives instruction to employees to meet job requirements.
- Informs employees of policy and procedure changes.
- Sets a positive example for employee.
- Provides opportunities for staff development.
- Makes job assignments.
- Takes corrective action to ensure acceptable employee performance.
- Observes employee performance. Provides both positive and corrective feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Conducts formal performance reviews on a timely basis and ensures the timely completion of full-time and part-time evaluations.
Safety and Sanitation
- Knows and administers the Dining Services Illness and Injury Prevention Program.
- Oversees the organization of all special events to ensure ease of operations.
- Ensures the maintenance, cleanliness and sanitation for all catering areas.
- Conducts preventative maintenance inspections and insure that routine maintenance is performed.
- Responsible for employee development and training in proper safety and sanitation methods and techniques.
- Verifies employee sanitation certification (ServSafe) as well as hazmat training.
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the work place.
- Responsible for the timely reporting of all accidents and/or injuries, following proper procedures.
- Revises facilities and equipment to include redesign for maximum service and profitability.
- Reviews facilities and equipment to include routine maintenance and repair, replacement and upgrading.
- Has general oversight responsibility for proper use, cleaning, return and storage of linen and equipment with the direct oversight as deemed appropriate.
Special Conditions of Employment:
Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process. https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Bachelor degree in food services or related field.
- At least three years of a la carte restaurant experience, preferably in white tablecloth environment.
- At least two years of supervisory experience in a high volume restaurant environment.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate responsible management, administrative and supervisory experience in a commercial a la carte restaurant.
- Proven problem solving ability. Ability to define and propose and implement effective solutions.
- Demonstrate commitment to high quality in food procurement, production and services.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a strong, service oriented environment with frequently changing priorities and deadlines.
- Proven skills in staff organization, work flow, use of controls and personnel management.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibility.
- Ability to prioritize assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Good time management skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to direct, motivate and counsel staff
- Strong public relations skills. Ability to work with multiple functions. Ability to work with and cooperate with a variety of people in a helpful manner. General knowledge of marketing and merchandising techniques
- General knowledge of accounting procedures, including costing and pricing menu items
- General knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures
- General knowledge of inventory techniques
- Ability to function effectively in a university environment
- Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently, demonstrating initiative and creative
- Proven knowledge of table services, styles and setups for special events.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Must complete ServSafe Food Safety Certification Class.
- Must complete a TIPS Alcohol Certification Class.
- Must complete Universitys hazard communication program.
$5,373.34 - $6,747.00 per month; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
The salary range provided in this posting reflects what we reasonably expect to pay for this position. Actual compensation offered or earned is dependent on experience, education and other factors including departmental budget.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: March 13, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled
To apply, visit https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/496235/manager-of-la-gran-terraza
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency