- Second Class Fireperson - Per Diem
- Go to our website »
Second Class Fireperson - Per Diem
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Second Class Fireperson position. The Second Class Fireperson is a part-time, per diem, casual position, with no benefits. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
Support Heat Plant efforts to oversee, operate, and maintain the high-pressure steam plant and cogeneration plant in a safe and efficient manner. Requires attention to detail, problem-solving, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, as well as the ability to multi-task and function efficiently under extreme conditions.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and operate all plant-related equipment, including but not limited to high-pressure boilers, heat recovery steam generator, Backpressure Steam Turbine Generator, and dual fuel gas turbine generator set.
Monitoring and Testing Equipment
- Record plant readings, and data, blow down the boiler, water column, and test high and low water alarm, test boiler water and adjust chemicals as needed, as well as test and regenerate water softeners. Clean oil strainers at the skid and burner, blow soot on both boilers, monitor, record, and receive fuel oil deliveries.
- Clean and maintain building interior and exterior, test and maintain reverse osmosis water purification system for nitrogen oxide emission control, as well as maintain and change ammonia bottles for emission control.
- A valid Massachusetts State Second Class Fireperson License
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing are required in order to operate college vehicles.
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- Successful completion of pre-employment physical and lift test
- An acceptable criminal offender records information (CORI) check
- 3-5 years Boiler and Turbine operating experience
- Associate's degree
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Second-Class-Fireperson---Per-Diem_JR3771
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency