This ad is expired.
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Second Cook position. The Second Cook is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $20.93 per hour - commensurate with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
This position is eligible for a bonus of up to $1,500.00 payable upon completion of 3 months of service.
The Second Cook supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the diverse campus community with excellent service through the quality production of our breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. The position assists the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef by assuming the responsibilities of positions in need, with the ability to work in all culinary line level positions throughout the department. As well as perform in the role of Kitchen Supervisor on Duty in the absence of a First or Second Cook.
This position ensures that the quantity and quality of our production are consistent with the standards of Dining Services and works with members of the team to meet and exceed our customer's expectations. This individual produces menu components from fresh and exceptional ingredients and is proficient in the technical skill and knowledge required to achieve this, being well versed in food, its history, and trends. The candidate must possess key strengths in hot and cold food production, baking and pastry, a'la carte in a high volume banquet production. The Second Cook takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule consistently varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs. This position may be assigned responsibilities in support of morning or evening coverage within Student Dining, Catering and/or Retail Dining. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Assist with leading meal service in tandem with Dining Service Supervisors by communicating mission, coaching and reinforcing standards and participating in the hospitality provided our diverse set of customers
- Effectively engage, instruct and supervise culinary staff, coordinate assistance, and oversee daily production and direct the rotation of assignments
- Assist with the professional development of the culinary team through training, coaching and reinforcing of standards and inclusive practices
- Provide input on performance evaluations and staff developmental plans
- Communicate proactively operational needs, concerns and issues
- Supervision and development of service staff regarding food storage, menu portioning and handling of menu items; details of ingredient; information about special meal needs and student diets; new menu items; par levels and production overages and shortages; menu changes
- Performing Inspections of Stations and Service areas in support of established standards
- Maintaining the accuracy of production schedules and usage reports
- Inventory management and organization of Production Storage Areas, assist with purchasing of needed product
- Maintaining the quality, professionalism and safety of the work environment
- Performing routine equipment inspection informing management of repair and replacement needs
- Provide and maintain the tools, resources and information necessary to ensure the team's success
- Manage resources effectively to reduce and prevent waste and loss
- Ability to perform in any and all line capacities throughout the department - including knowledge of menu items assigned to those locations and standard operating procedures involved
- Preparation of menu items to established standard as an individual and in leading the teams work
- Receive, Maintain, Store and Inventory ingredients as needed
- Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations
- Ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner, as well as oversee the complete breakdown and cleaning of all equipment
- Collaborate with the Executive Chef on menu development and implementation
- Ensure recipes are followed, uniform production standards are met, and all items are of the highest possible quality and produced in an efficient and consistent manner
- Complete and insure the accuracy of the production sheets at the conclusion of each meal period
- High School Diploma or equivalent plus specialized culinary training
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 3 - 5 years of leadership experience in food preparation
- Technically Proficient in Volume Hot and Cold Food Production, Baking and Pastry and Culinary fundamentals
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel with experience in menu management software systems
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment physical and lift test
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in Culinary Arts
- Driver's License and successful credentialing in order to operate College vehicles
- Supervisory experience
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Second-Cook_JR3763
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency