- Third Cook
- Go to our website »
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for a Third Cook. The Third Cook is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $19.76. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
This position is eligible for a bonus of up to $1500.00 payable upon completion of 3 months of service.
The Third Cook supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the diverse campus community with excellent service through the quality production of our breakfast and lunch menus. This position supports a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
This position ensures that the quantity and quality of our production are consistent with the standards of Dining Services and works with members of the team to meet and exceed our customers' expectations. This individual produces menu components from fresh and exceptional ingredients and is proficient in the technical skill and knowledge required to achieve this, being well versed in food, its history, and trends. This position involves direct customer interaction and display/demonstration cooking requiring oneself to present at all times in a professional, approachable and supportive manner.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally the work week starts on Sunday beginning at 12:30 pm. At times, this position may be asked to assist with evening production in student dining or assist with catering and campus-wide events at any time. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Prepare assigned menu items to standard, including hot and cold food menu items while adhering to standardized recipes and production methods
- Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations
- Ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner
- Set-up food items prior to and during meals meeting established standards, manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality
- Perform work in a safe and efficient manner; ensure operational organization before, during, and after service
- Ensure that equipment used is in sound, working order; tools used are properly cared for and stored
- Effectively collaborate with a diverse group of colleagues and students
- Communicate operational needs and concerns effectively and proactively
- Help to maintain the accuracy of production schedules and usage reports
- Maintain a commitment to the quality of our resources and work to prevent loss and eliminate waste
- Promote our standards of quality and service and the safety of our work environment
- Help create, maintain, and serve seasonal, fresh menus from exceptional ingredients
- Assist with product and process refinement
- Assist with new product research and development
- Corrects discrepancies in production sheets and recipes
- Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas
- Inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies
- Communicate product needs through appropriate channels
- Work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2 + years of food preparation experience including hot and cold food production, breakfast production and egg cookery, high volume catering/banquet production, buffet presentation, a'la carte cooking, baking, and pastry
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Associate's degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts
- 3 - 5 years' experience in a similar, high volume, scratch operation
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Third-Cook_JR3765
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency